GIS database creation and modelling (HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS) support expertise to FDEP dam break modelling projects across the state of Florida for the FDSP. In particular conducting inundation mapping and preparing Emergency Action Plans (EAP) for several high-hazard potential dams (supported by The Florida National Dam Safety Program Grant).
From development of bespoke geospatial software products to detailed hydrological analysis supported by ground observations, Síor Consulting provided GIS expertise to support the numerical hydraulic flood modelling of privately owned dam break scenarios.
The works undertaken will allow the FDEP to understand the flooding risks (and their extent) associated with dam break scenarios for high hazard potential dams. This includes the protection of property, prevent loss of life and the ability to develop and maintain suitable emergency action plans to manage/achieve that.
- Geospatial-field data collection support (ArcGIS Collectors App)
- Geospatial data databasing and management
- Numerical modelling based of a variety of satellite data products (Digital Terrain Models, hydrological characterization, spatially and temporally distributed hydrological parameterization models)
- Geospatial driven emergency evacuation plans
- Drawing production, 3D-fly throughs, online WebApp presenting modelling outputs
Client: Comak Group Inc (CGI) & Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP)
Project title: Florida Dam Modelling for The State of Florida Dam Safety Program (FDSP)
Location: Florida, USA
Date: 2018 – ongoing
Main Síor contact: Dónal Neville (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Project infographics/stats: Main Síor contact:
Budget: Typically $50,000 per group of dam sites
Delivery achieved on budget and to required timescale
Areas of Expertise
- Water Resources: Geospatial Flood Risk Modelling
- Environmental Science: Visualisation Specialist
- Project Management