The availability of fresh drinking water is a topic which has gained increasing popularity over the past years. According to the World Health Organisation, 27% (2.2 billion people) did not have access to a safely managed drinking-water service, located on premises, available when needed, and free from contamination, in 2022. In 2018, Síor Consulting Ltd. (Síor) was approached by a confidential Client to provide comprehensive hydrological, hydrogeological, and geospatial/IT consulting services to characterise and develop a groundwater resource in Ireland.
Síor was commissioned to characterise and develop a sustainable groundwater resource through the deployment of our multifaceted expertise in innovative hydrological, hydrogeological, geophysical, and geospatial/IT solutions.
Síor’s responsibilities include:
- Extensive (25 km sq), detailed, hydrological, hydrogeological, and geophysical field-data collection activities.
- Engagement of governmental and community stakeholders.
- Acquisition and analysis of geophysical data to inform subsurface hydrological paleochannels, bedrock depths, and hydrogeological regimes.
- Groundwater abstraction and monitoring borehole siting and subsequent drilling supervision and monitoring design and deployment.
- Conceptualisation and development of bespoke, Client centric, database solutions delivered as easily accessible web-based applications.
Síor leveraged our combined geoscientific expertise to:
- Execute a comprehensive, data-driven, top-down, geospatial analysis to inform site-based activities to complete technical works.
- Carry out detailed site walkovers and geophysical surveying (Electrical Resistivity Tomography and Induced Polarization) activities, to collect and interpret critical surface and sub-surface field data.
- Develop and refine hydraulic, hydrogeological, and geological numerical models.
- Prepare and manage geospatial data, culminating in the delivery of bespoke web apps to the Client.
- Supervise groundwater supply and monitoring borehole drilling activities, ensuring thorough testing and development of bores.
- Design and deployment water monitoring.
- Engage and submit reports to the relevant governmental and community stakeholders.
Timeline: 2018 to on-going