Climate finance is crucial for driving global efforts against climate change, targeting both mitigation and adaptation strategies. The complexity of climate-related hazards, such as shifting weather patterns and changing land use, demands expert geoscientific and geospatial analysis.
In this project, Síor Consulting Ltd. (Síor) was commissioned by a Client in the climate finance arena to provide geoscientific and geospatial expertise for the development of an online platform geared towards informing decision-making for financial service providers looking to consider climate risks associated with issuing micro-credits to farmers in the Global South.
The Client required a robust set of solutions for managing the geospatial aspects of their online platform, including:
- Assuring the quality and consistency of the geospatial climate risk datasets to be used to inform credit allocation in Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean region.
- Developing a data pipeline for collating, processing, visualising and deploying the geospatial climate risk data.
- Developing a geo-coding solution to localise requests from end clients and integrate full geospatial functionality into the Client’s API and online platform.
Síor Consulting enhanced the Client’s platform with the following capabilities:
- Collation and quality review of geospatial climate risk datasets (including flooding, extreme heat, drought, and frost) for the entire African continent, Latin America, and the Caribbean region.
- Development and implementation of automated processing routines for the integration of data associated to a range of climate risks, ENSO scenarios, and monthly variations into a unified geospatial product.
- Development and integration of geospatially-enabled modules into Client’s platform (API), enhancing its functionality and versatility.
Client: YAPU Solutions
Date: 2021 – Ongoing